The Governing body are the strategic decision makers and vision setters in every school. They play a vital role in ensuring the best possible education for every child by creating robust accountability for school leaders.
Effective governance will include:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
“The governing body have a secure understanding of their school and regularly challenge leaders about the impact of their work”
The Lonsdale Governing Board has members from all different "walks of life" and include the headteacher, staff, parents and others interested in the running and support of school and its activities.
There are normally three full Governors Meetings every year and each Governor also sits on at least one of the committee boards. These are:
- Safeguarding and Pupil Welfare Board - provides support and guidance on matters relating to the welfare of the pupils and staff and concentrates on the pastoral aspects of school life.
- School Development Board- oversees educational outcomes; all policies and procedures in relation to education, curriculum and pupil performance
- Resources Board – provides support and guidance on the running of school including facilities, staffing and finances. It also monitors the School Fund, which is built up from donations and fundraising activities and used to provide additional resources for the benefit of the pupils.
- Residential Education Provision Panel – The panel assess for residential provision against a set of criteria and may allocate a pupil between one and four nights per week.
All approved documentation from the boards and the full governing board meeting are available on request.
Governors visits are one of the more insightful and rewarding of the Governor's responsibilities. Regular visits are made to the school to see it in operation. The day will be organised so that Governor's specialist areas can be a focused on. Governors will write a full report ensuring that this exercise helps the school to move forward in its progress.
Being a governor is an interesting and rewarding opportunity. If you think you would be interested in joining the Lonsdale Governing Body please contact the Chair of Governors to find out more.
Please use the links below for any other information regarding governance.